Screens have become an integral part of our lives, shaping how we communicate, learn and entertain ourselves. Children encounter screens from a very early age and for many parents it can be hard to know how to manage screen time in a healthy way.
In this episode we welcome back Nikki Taranis, who joined us on Gaming: Finding a healthy balance for children and young people. Nikki is a social worker and therapeutic specialist, and until recently a team leader with the Australian Childhood Foundation.
We talked with Nikki about screen time and how to find a healthy balance for the children and young people in your care.
Content warning: This episode includes mentions cyber bullying. If listening to this podcast brings up any difficult feelings for you, please seek help from your mental health professional or one of these crisis or support services.
In this episode, you will learn:
- the recommended amount of screen time for children and young people, and how you can set boundaries around screen time [01:00]
- what to consider when your child starts using screens [05:12]
- about nervous system arousal [08:07]
- the positive and negatives of social media [11:08]
- what to consider when navigating screen time and social media [15:19]
Further information and resources: