South Australia’s first Commissioner for Children and Young People, Helen Connolly, shares advice on engagement, how we can better listen to this age group and insights on what it is like for rural children and young people during time of adversities, such as drought. In this episode, Helen Connolly, South Australia’s first Commissioner for Children and Young People, shares her experiences and what she has leant from talking and working with thousands of children and young people from all over South Australia.
Some of the stories in this podcast may be distressing to some people. If you or someone you know require assistance, please call LifeLine on 13 11 14 or beyondblue on 1300 22 4636. If life is in danger, call 000.
- Reflection 1: Commissioner’s role [00:47]
- Reflection 2: Commissioner’s approach in engaging children and young people [01:20]
- Reflection 3: Commissioner’s insight of regional and rural children and communities [03:32]
- Reflection 4: Commissioner’s advice for adults [04:48]
- Reflection 5: Commissioner’s insight on how to better listen to children and young people [06:17]
- Reflection 6: Commissioner’s on how children and young people voices can be heard [08:15]
- Reflection 7: Commissioner’s on how to support a positive future for children and young people in their lives [10:02]
Further information and resources:
- Commissioner for Children and Young People SA https://www.ccyp.com.au/
The SA commissioner’s role is to promote and advocate for the rights, interests and wellbeing of children and young people. This is done through: making recommendations to government and examining systemic issues relating to children and young people; conducting research and producing reports; and ensuring that South Australia meets its international obligations. The commission also seeks to engage children and young people to encourage their participation in decision making that affects their lives (Government of South Australia, 2018; The Children and Young People (Oversight and Advocacy Bodies) Act 2016).
- List of all the Australian, State and Territories Children’s and Young People Commissioners and Guardians via the CFCA website https://aifs.gov.au/cfca/publications/childrens-commissioners-and-guardians
Hosts: Events On Air (Drew and Leigh Radford). The Radford brothers previously work for the ABC and held various roles from Journalist, Executive Producers and Directors in both the urban and regional settings in Australia. Drew Radford is passionate about rural issues and need for respectful and authentic storytelling to ensure that the essence of people’s experiences and stories are captured.
Podcast voices: Emerging Minds thanks the South Australia Commissioner for Children and Young People, for contributing to this podcast.
Development committee: This podcast series has been co-designed with support from executive members – Isolated Children’s Parent’s Association SA and NSW Branches, Remote Isolated Children’s Exercise, South Australia Government Drought Response program, Department of Rural Health, University of South Australia and Emerging Minds staff.
Music: Podcast music theme for this series has been created by Stu Day Music https://studaymusic.com/
Photos and Drawings: Postcard images courtesy SA Commissioner for Children and Young People’s “Tell Helen Postcard Project” Visit ccyp.com.au for details.