Supporting children after natural and human-induced disasters webinar
Child Family Community Australia & Emerging Minds, Australia, August, 2019
This webinar described the specific interventions that cater for the developmental needs of children recovering from community trauma. It presented findings from research on what helps children to recover, and provide case studies from the field.
This webinar supports practitioners to:
- prepare children and their families practically and psychologically for a disaster
- interact with children during an event in a way that may enhance their resilience and recovery
- support children and their families immediately after an event as they re-establish a sense of safety
- support children and their families in the ongoing recovery process
- understand the importance of self-care during and after a traumatic event
- identify emotional and behavioural difficulties in children that may indicate that ongoing, specialised support is required.